Design, Manufacture and supply of Vortex inducers and
Vortex Liner for Thames Tideway sites
Customer: Thames Tideway
Year of contract: 2018 to present
As an approved steel fabrication and supplier of high-quality engineered solutions for all three large joint ventures currently constructing the Thames Tideway Storm Sewer project in London, PSS were given the opportunity to tender for the detailed design manufacture and delivery of 14 modular large diameter stainless Vortex pipes and inlet channels. Two main contracts were awarded to PSS based on the technical and commercial elements of the tender submission and of course the clients previous experience working with us.
Vortex generators and liner pipes play a vital role in the interception of storm flow sewerage, that would normally be discharged into the Thames and in a controlled way, transfer this to the new Thames Tideway tunnel that runs from near Putney in the west end of London to a treatment plant in Essex.
The supply project has a three year programme, phased to suit the many interception locations.
Various central London and eastern London sites. Operated by CVB and FLO joint Ventures.
Additional Project Images
The challenges faced:
- Control of geometric sizing to ensure module to module assembly (flange to flange).
- Geometrical sizing and criticality.
- Welding sequencing.
- Control of welding distortion.
- Control of subcontract operations
- Overall shape control during fabrication.
- Brexit proofing with raw materials.
- Temporary works solutions for lifting.
- Multi-site communication and document control.
How we achieved a successful delivery:
- Attention to safety.
- Quality of workmanship.
- Understanding of the customers handling needs.
- Diligence with site specifics and buildability.
- Drawing and design quality.
- Attention to detail and problem/ issue solving and attitude.
- Timely execution of the works.
- Interdepartmental communication and doc control.
- Jig control.
- Skilled workforce and training to ensure that the quality is right first time.
- Supplier engagement
- Correct subcontractor choice.
- Temporary works accuracy
- Weld Prototyping to establish shrinkage.
The project is ongoing. All elements to date are on programme and to the tight tolerances required. For all projects we have taken an active role in temporary works design, BIM and logistical challenges.